I got up this morning at 5:00 to help Dear Husband get things out to the garbage cans. It's garbage day and I wanted to be sure that all the small wastebaskets were emptied.
Actually, I had other reasons for the early start. DH had a shot of cortisone yesterday for a pinched nerve in his back/hip, and I wanted to know how he felt. We were both restless and having trouble settling when we went to bed, so I was worried that he hadn't slept well.
He seems to be doing fine. He says there is less pain today. Now we just have to hope the effect is lasting.
I had planed to quilt a small quilt today. I want to begin cutting back the number of lap quilts that didn't get finished last year for Scraps on a Mission. But, first, I quilted a pad for DH to use to buffer his knees. I quilted two of these rectangular pads, one with quilting lines an inch apart, and one with quilting two inches apart. DH is going to try them tonight to see if they give his knees the protection they need. If they are too stiff, I may try quilting one more rectangle with a polyester batting.
That didn't take me very long. It was still dark outside when I finished the pads, so I started working on clearing off the table to make room to quilt. I got distracted when I came to a stack of 50 blocks with bright kid's fabrics, and thought I would sit down and divide them into "kits" for future assembly.
Then I saw the striped fabric that I planned to use for the binding on the large version of the kid's fabric project, and thought I might as well make the binding. I had enough binding for the quilt, and still had half the fabric. I wondered if I could get enough binding out of what was left for two of the smaller projects. I cut the entire piece into bias strips, so that I could get the affect I wanted from the stripes. By the time I finished with the second half of the fabric I had more than 382 inches of binding, more than enough to bind two of the smaller quilts!.
Then my eye fell on the fabric I planned to use for the borders. My rotary cutter made quick work of the red, orange and yellow fabric. Unfortunately, I had four quilts that needed borders, and only three colors. I had one strip left of each color, so I added a purple strip to what was left, and one of the quilts will have a different colored border on each side. Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without! It will be really cute when I get it finished, and I'll share it with you. Binding, borders, and labels went into the bags for each of the four little quilts.
Next I made a list of the kits to be sewn, quilt tops that needed batting and backing, pinned quilt sandwiches that need to be quilted, and finished quilts for Scraps on a Mission. I was astonished to find that we have 22 projects underway! I was hoping to get 24 quilts finished this season. Perhaps we will surpass that!
There was one kit from last year that kept getting overlooked because it was one of a kind, and possibly beyond the abilities of the ladies who were sewing. It's a very cute pinwheel pattern, that has three dimensional pinwheels. I decided to start making the blocks for this little quilt. I know.....I was going to QUILT!!! But, I was so pleased to be clicking along, clearing things up, I decided to go for it, and work on these blocks.
I'm going to go sit and watch NCIS with DH and pin the two halves of the blocks together, so that I'm ready to sew tomorrow.
It was a GREAT DAY!!!