We live on a wooded lot, and I have learned that where you have dappled shade, you also have poison ivy. We have a LOT of poison ivy, unfortunately, and I am very allergic to it. For the most part, I can ignore it, or kill it off, but there has been a rash of it (Get the pun???) in the garden at the front of the house.
Dear Husband was kind enough to spray one of the plants that was in an area where other plants wouldn't be hurt by the spray. But, there's an amazingly healthy poison ivy plant that has settled into the middle of my perennials where I can't spray it. Because I've dithered about this, it has sent out arms to colonize the area, and now, I must do something about it.
Either tomorrow, or very shortly, I plan to pull on an old pair of pants that I can throw away, an old turtleneck with long sleeves that I can ditch, and old socks. I'll find three bandanas and cover my nose and mouth with one, my forehead with another and my hair with the third. I'll put on latex gloves, and cover those with a pair of gardening gloves that can be pitched out, and I'll wade into battle with the darned plant!!
I can't burn the plants I pull, and if I leave them lying somewhere, we could still brush the dead plant and pick up the oil. I guess I have to put the plants into a garbage bag and dispose of them. My clothes will go into another, and I'll leave the gloves on until I have thrown my outer wear away. I'm not taking ANY chances. I know what it's like to have poison ivy, and I really hope to never have it ever again!!
Wish me luck.