I've been a busy bee!
I have been learning to use my new sewing machine. I bought it for the purpose of machine quilting small to medium sized quilts. It's capable of free motion quilting, as well as straight line quilting using the dual feed feet. I have been trying to do both of these with my very old Singer sewing machine, and it's astonishing how much easier it is to accomplish the quilting when you use a machine built for that purpose. I have now finished one quilt with loopy free motion quilting, and one that is "stitch-in-the-ditch" style. I completed sewing the binding of the larger one this afternoon, another first. I have always attached my binding to the front, pinned it to the back, and then hand-sewn it in place. This time, I sewed it to the back, and then pulled it to the front and machine stitched it down. YEA!!! I have learned SO MUCH since I bought this machine, and have been talking with the ladies of Scraps on a Mission. I feel like I'm growing by leaps and bounds!
I got up early and went out to breakfast. Dear Husband was off sailing, I had a list of chores to do, and got an early start. I planted two of the five mums I picked up earlier in the week, and set the pots on either side of the garage doors.
I fed the birds, and discovered that the rodent population had found the partially empty bag of nyjer seed that I bought for the finches. I forgot to put it in one of the sealed bins, and it didn't take them any time at all to find it and decimate the seed. That will teach me to be sure everything is put away!
I moved my sewing machine back into the studio and reclaimed the dining room. I still have to press the tablecloth but at least one room is getting close to being back to it's normal use. I folded the fabric I bought during August, and stacked it to be ironed later. I organized the equipment on the long table, put things away, and then cut strips of white for the next quilt I want to make. If you receive American Patchwork and Quilting, it's the simple quilt of depression era reproduction fabric and white.
Then, the Nap Monster found me, and took me out for about an hour. Later, I sewed the first of the squares for the new quilt, and then checked the computer for information on roasting a boneless top loin pork roast.
Second Son was making salsa when it was time for me to work on dinner, so we shared the counter space. I steamed green beans, and broccoli and cauliflower, made up some broccoli slaw, and boiled egg noodles to go along with the pork roast. Mother used to make pork roast with browned potatoes, and I think I'll try to recreate that meal later this fall.
The dishes are done, or at least most of them are done. I had to run the dishwasher twice, we had so many pots and pans! It's nice having the counters cleared to start the week.
Tomorrow......grocery shopping, weeding, crocheting squares for Share a Square, and filing are the big boys on my to-do list, with twenty little things to fit in around them. I hope you all have a great week, and that those of you on the east coast are safe and dry.