I've been working (off and on) on a quilt for my granddaughter. About this time last year, I settled on a very simple block, and then pulled all the pink fabric in my stash. I used the entire range from the palest to the deepest fuchsia. I made a simple four-patch center, outlined by one more row of blocks. The basic block looks like this:
I took four of those blocks and inserted my granddaughter's picture into the center in place of the four-patch. I used treated fabric in place of paper, scanned my favorite pictures and then printed them onto the fabric. In the center block of the quilt, I drafted a star, and used her picture for the center.
I decided that I would machine quilt this top by myself. I use a VERY old sewing machine, and our modern methods of machine quilting were not yet developed when this machine was created. I had to adjust the technique a little, and while the quilting is adequate, it's not the most beautiful job I've ever done.
I gave the partially completed quilt to my granddaughter on her second birthday, promising that I'd finish it for her and return it. I FINALLY got the machine quilting done, and the binding, and a hanging tube (stitched to the back). All I have left to do is sew the label to the back, and it's ready to be returned.
I'd hoped that my step-daughter would let her daughter play with this. It was intended to be used up and worn out and thrown out. But, when she saw it, she said, "THIS is going on the WALL!" So, I'm going to wash it, and warn her about sunlight on quilting fabrics, and hope for the best. I'll make another quilt that my granddaughter can drag around with her.
This is what the finished quilt looks like: