**warning, geek speak ahead, feel free to leave an opinion or if you know of something I haven't looked at (or comments on what I have)**
I've been on a mission lately...
My mission is, I've been wanting to get away from MT for some time now...I think it's outrageous the prices they want to charge to continue to have a multi-user/multi-blog setup.
Don't get me wrong, if they had started out that way, I wouldn't have an issue with it...even when it was a free version I still made a donation because I thought it was a worthwhile project, and I wanted to support it, but they've gotten a tad big for their britches IMHO.
So I've been looking around at other options...who knew how many there were out there!! My main problem is finding one that has the features I want, at a free and/or cheap price tag.
I also, have my users to consider...the ones who, without them...well, redeaglespirit.com wouldn't be what it is today...I'd like to have something that will give them a bit more flexibility if they want it, but still be easy enough for the ones that just want a place to write their thoughts to be able to do that, without a lot of complications.
a short (kinda) list of what I would like to be able to give them
1. the option for 'skins' without me having to hack multiple files.
2. the option to choose their own look, I could have several templates set up and they could pick the one they would like to use, (but still have the option of using a custom one)
3. creating pages...for the ones who want more than 'just a blog', much like WordPress's page feature.
4. plugin manageability. or say Jet wants to be able to show her mood on her blog, yet Buffy doesn't...Buffy would have the ability to leave that plugin off while Jet could enable it on hers if she so desired.
5. ease of use. I cannot stress this one enough. I host a lot of blogs on here (
19 20 to be exact, (yes, I set up another one this morning) no, you don't know where all of them are! :lol ) and some of them are for...shall we say...'technically challenged' people (my wife is one of them, so no offense intended there!) I need something that they will be able to use with ease...or they won't use it (and the blogging community would lose some great writers IMHO)
6. CMS, to understand what I want with this, take a look at the home page. I want something that will allow me to do this, without interfering with the rest of the operation! (and preferably without having to hack it to death like I did that page)
7. not required, but I would like to have people be able to 'hide' posts...password protect or registered users only...something like that...so they don't have to worry if someone (ie: family member you're bashing, your boss, etc...) stumbles upon your blog...or worse yet, just stop posting because you're afraid of who's reading it!